COVID-19 Update - Important Information
Digital media use in youth: Navigating the tensions between online risk and opportunity during a complex time
Today’s young people grow up online. How does near constant use of social media effect relationships, learning and mental health? This training will examine the pros and cons of information technology for both therapists and clients. These themes are particularly relevant considering the integral role of internet-enabled communication during the global pandemic.
Clinicians and educators must understand the impact and concept of digital media if they are to keep young people safe and support their growth to adulthood.
Topics covered will include:
- Media/digital literacy
- Strategies and tools to help mediate and monitor tech use
- Harm reduction vs. abstinence when containing social media use
- The good: connecting, resources, peer supports
- The bad: cyberbullying, pornography, online luring, poison envy
- Balance during COVID-19 and increased dependency on digital media for all contacts and connections, work, and education